Archived Journey Through the Lengths: 2-3 inches
STYLING OPTIONS AT THIS LENGTH
At this length, styling becomes fun! I have tried 2-Strand Twists, Flat Twists, Puffs, Twist-Outs and I’ve experimented with accessories. My scarves have become my favorite accessories. TWA styling favorites such as the afro and the wash-n-go become even more beautiful at this length.
MY HAIR ROUTINE AT THIS LENGTH
Believe it or not, my hair routine has become more simplified at this length. This may be due to the fact that I know my hair better and I’ve discovered that all of those different products are not really needed or because the scab hair and dry hair issues have grown out and/or been trimmed off. My hair routine at this length consisted of:
1. I currently no-poo, wash my hair using conditioner instead of shampoo, my hair every other day or so. (See Loraine Massey’s Curly Girl book for more info on the No-Poo Method), except when my hair is in 2-strand twists. When 2-strand twisted, I do not rinse or wash until the twists are removed. I usually wear my twists for one – two weeks.
2. I use shampoo on my hair once a week , unless I am wearing twists longer than a week. (I tried strictly using the no-poo method, but it made absolutely no difference with my hair, so I went back to washing with shampoo)
3. I deep condition once a month.
Whenever my scalp is itchy, I do an ACV rinse (1- 2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with 2 cups water)
4. I do a hot-oil treatment once every month or two (if needed).
5. I trim my ends once every two months or so.
6. I never use direct heat on my hair.
Product rotation at this length:
- Crème of Nature Shampoo (used once a week, less if hair is twisted)
- Pantene Pro-V Hydrating Curls or Suave Humectant (when hair is not twisted, I rotate these two conditioners on daily no-poos)
- Aussie 3 Minute Miracle – used as deep conditioner once a month
- Mizani Conditioning Hairdress & Night-Time Treatment – small amount used daily when hair is not twisted
- Plain Distilled Water – used as a spritz
- ORS Lock & Twist Gel – used to hold twists
- Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse – used when needed for itchy scalp
MY HAIR ISSUES AT THIS LENGTH
Dry hair is no longer a problem. However my hair is now at the length where it is too long to shrink into a cute little TWA and too short to lay down, so at times styling can be a bit awkward. I usually resort to twists or puffs when I get frustrated. Also, I am finding that my hair is no longer responding to the same shampoos and conditioners that it did when it was shorter. I am in the process of experimenting with shampoos and conditioners made with more natural ingredients (i.e Carol’s Daughter products). The verdict is not in yet on whether these products have made a difference.